Question
Posted by: Bit in the Dark | 2004/01/19

Change of Periods

Hallo,

I am 29 and in the last year my period has changed. It has always been irregular, between 21 and 30 days, but the amount of blood etc. has changed. The first 3 days used to be heavy with 2 light days. Nowadays the first day is only spotting with 1 heavy day and 2 very light days. Does periods change this much?

I am still a virgin and this last year was the first time that a guy ever fingered me. In the beginning it used to bleed a bit (maybe because of the hymen tearing) but now there is no bleeding. I don't think that this could cause my period to change. I am also on no contraseptives.

The amount of blood with a period is less important than the fact that they are irregular. The variation in your cycle is a bit more than usual. This may mean that you re not ovulating. If this goes on for a long time, you could suffer from the consequences of low hormones, so I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist for a general check. If you are a virgin, he/she does not have to do a vaginal examination. A scan could be done instead.