Question
Posted by: dd | 2004/01/28

Change of Medical Aids

I work for a bank and am thus on Bankmed for 4 years already. My husband is on my medical aid and my baby due next month will also go on the scheme. After the baby is born I want to change to Discovery. Would they accept our family and will they impose a waiting period?

Expert ImageArchive

Unfortuantely every scheme, where you can elect to join or not, can impose a waiting period of at least 3 months. In addition to this they can also impose a pre-existing exclusion for a period of up to 12 months, if there is a condition which they believe will unfairly cause a drain on the finances of the scheme.

I would contact your financial adviser, or Discovery directly, to establish whether they will in fact impose a waiting period in your particular circumstances.