Posted by: Lisa | 2009/02/20

Change in duties

Dear Sir/ Mam

I work for an institution that uderwent a merger about 3 yrs ago. With this merger, new structures were put in place and new job descriptions were drawn up. I was left on the same grade and pay but I was not happy with my new job portfolio. I appealed this and it was rejected. Subsequently, I accepted this new role and ajusted according. In the new year, however, a few staff members have resigned from the institution and now my line manager wants to move me out of my current position and put me in a more ' superior'  position but without any increase in pay or upgrade. Basically I am being asked to do more work for the same pay and these duties are not part of my present portfolio.

I am not happy with this and do not want to accept this. Please advise me in terms of labour law, If I refuse these new duties, can I get fired? Can I insist that I will only accept new role with an increase in pay of about R4000-00 per month? I' m also going on maternity leave in May and I can' t help worrying about what will be the situation when I return back to work.

Your advise will be much appreciated.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: change in duties

You can refuse to accept change in duties, but you must understand this could lead to a possible redundancy of the position.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Boetie | 2009/02/21

I would think that if the new position is more senior with more responsibility + more work then a new agreement btween yourself + employer must b negotiated. They can' t just throw a legally binding agreement out of the window + replace it with something that benefits them only. They should also compensate U accordingly. If they won' t budge then declare a dispute or go to the CCMA. Whatever U do don' t let them bully U into a situation where U will b disadvantaged.

Reply to Boetie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.