Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2006/04/03

Change in cycle?

Hi Doc, I posted last week sometime and advised you like this
My period thus far for the last couple of months:
27d, 26d, 28d, 29d
started menses on Saturday afternoon - it was very light - not as usual - didn't require to change pad - no bleeding overnight
Sunday period seemed more normal, but only for a couple of hours
Today all clear again, just some spots here and there and when I urinate (sorry for the detail)

How do I interpret this? Has my cycle now changed to be longer? Could I be pregnant with this bleeding ie. 'early bleed'?

What can I do to regulate my cycles other than the pill?

Thank you for your helpful advise.

Cherry

Dear Cherry

I would strongly suggest that you have you thyroid functions as well as prolactin levels checked as this might be the first possible imbalance. should these be normal I would recommend that a thorough gynaecological evaluation be performed to exclude pathology of the womb. The possibilty of a pregnancy should always be considered in the situation of dysfunctional bleeding as you have described. A home pregnancy test would be recommended at this stage. Should this be negative, I would recommend ovulation induction using clomid or other such agents to enhance the quality of ovulation and improve hormone levels in the post ovulatory phase of your cycle.