Question
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/22

Chances of Twins

Just wondering what are the chances of us conceiving twins, historical twins and other factors:
My father-in-law is one of a twin.
FIL has twin cousins.
His other cousin who wasn't a twin, had twins.
My husband and I are both left handed (is this a recessive gene and does it contribute to carrying a gene for twins?)
My mother had twin brothers
My mother's brother (my uncle) had twins.

Would be very interested to know, especially as we might end up having to have fertility treatment.

Joni

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Joni
It is not possible to predict exactly what the chances for twins are but it may be as high as 25% for each pregnancy if there indeed is a recessive gene involved, as seems to be possible from the family history. As far as I know left-handedness is not linked to the probability of having twins.

Regards, Maritha