Question
Posted by: les | 2008/07/18

chances of surviving menengitis

i would like to find out what the chances of surviving meningitis are for a 34 year old HIV positive male who has a cd 4 count of 300. his one side of the body has been paralysed or hit by a stroke as well. he improved from not talking and not eating, suprisingly. he started talking and eating again. now he can eat by himself. my question is. can dctors tell how long you have to live. do you die for sure. or are there chances of surviving

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Depending on the type of medication that he is receiving for meningitis, as well as his HIV, his chances are very good to survive this event. I am however, unable to give you any prognosis on his life expectancy, as this depends on a multitude of factors, i.e. CD 4 count, co-morbid infections, diet, medication etc.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich BUrger

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2008/07/19

You don' t have to live but it might be nice if you do. A little bit of the wagon but all people die for sure, if he' ll survive depending on the treatment and the bodily respons to it.