Question
Posted by: concerned | 2007/07/21

chances of hereditary cancer????

hello!
My mother died of carcenoid cancer last year.My grand mother and great grandmother also died of cancer. The three types of cancer are all totally different cancers: carcenoid, pancreatic and im unsure of my great grandmother but i think it was melanoma. I am obviously concerned as to whether that means that I will get cancer too. I have three daughters and worry about them. What should I do and do I have cause for concern?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Concerned

You have cause for concern if the cancers were of early onset, before the age of 50 years. Late onset cancers are usually caused mostly by lifestyle risk factors so avoidance of smoking, healthy eating with lots of fruit and vegetables, regular exercing etc will go a far way to prevent cancer in you and your daughters.

Regards, Maritha