Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2004/09/30

chances of cleft palate

my fiancee and i are both divorced, he has two daughters and i have one son. his first daughter was born with a cleft palate, second daughter perfectly healthy. His mom had a cleft palate (but no hair lip). so therfore his mom had it, then it skipped a generation (my finacee and his siblings)and then his daughter had it. we would like to have a child of our own, what are the chances of having a child with a cleft palate. we are still in the same generation when it's "supposed" to happen ie it skips a generation, that is why his generation did not have any cleft palates. hope this makes sense.
thanks

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Michelle

Cleft palate in the absence of any additional abnormalities has an empirical 5%-10% recurrence risk for the offspring of any affected person. A generation can certainly be skipped, but not in any constant fashion. In your fiance's situation, the recurrence risk for any of his offspring would be about 5%. i.e. 1 in 20.

I hope that this information is helpful.

1
Posted by: Carefull | 2004/10/09

Hi. I hav a double cleft pellet. I was wondering about the options regarding tests etc. or artificial insemenation or w.h.y. to try to reduce the risk of passing it on to my children?

Reply to Carefull