Question
Posted by: diva | 2003/03/24

chaffing

Hello can anyone help me, regarding the chaffing between my thighs. I clcle on my home trainer extensivley. Iam also olive skinned. It is not wounded, but black in colour.

Hi Diva

Prevention in this case is better than the cure. The skin between your thighs is very soft and sensitive and therefore constant rubbing of skin against skin will cause chafing. Things to try are wearing longer shorts preferably cotton that don't ride up your leg and allow your skin to breath. The new fabrics used in exercise clothes is ideal because it pulls away the sweat from your body reducing the risks of chafing.

Using vaseline or good ol' baby powder between your legs will also help.

Vinyl-covered, plastic-base saddles make us sweat, chaff, and cause soreness because they don't conform to individual's backsides-anatomy, the vinyl does not breathe, and their cushioning breaks down and/or spreads out. Since you are cycling quite a bit you may want to invest in a good saddle.

Dealing with the scaring is tricky, remeber the skin is very sensitive and therefore should be treated as such. Try using creams that are used for babies with nappy rash? if this does not help I suggest consulting a dermatoligist for expert skin advise.

keep up the exercise and weight loss programme.

1
Posted by: Russell | 2003/03/26

Hi Diva,

The following has worked for me :

* Train with gym shorts (like cycling shorts without the padding) or normal cycling shorts.
* Rub vaseline on the insides of you legs where you chafe.

Regards,
Russell.

Reply to Russell