Question
Posted by: Michie | 2002/12/10

Cervical Spondylitus

Please could you give me information on this disease. I had a car accident 33 years ago and suffered whiplash and did not get treatment for many years and the result has been a deterioration of the spine. At present I am seeing a physio who has told me that my sympathetic nervous system is the cause of a lot of my pain.
Please can you advise me on what exercises I can do as swimming causes me pain as I swim breaststroke and this hurts my neck. I cannot walk for long as I get dreadful pain in my lower back and my physiotherapist is now sending me to see a specialist as she thinks I have problems with my hip.
Michele

Michie, cervical spondylitis is inflammation of the cervical spine and cervical spondylosis is a degenerative disease of the cervical spine. The best would probably be to see a rheumatologist and have sort it out for you. Good luck.
You asked for more information on spondylitis – there isn’t much to say other than it is inflammation of the cervical spine. If it is spondylosis you’re after, let me know as a new question and I’ll post something. Good luck.