Question
Posted by: Nursemeg | 2005/12/14

cervical polyp and abnormal pap

Hello,
My mother recently was told she had a polyp, noticed during her routine pap test. The doctor has now called her back as her pap came back with some abnormal cells. Apparently there was also some contact bleeding during the pap. She has a bit of a wait before she sees the specialist and she is very worried. Is this likely to be something serious? Are these 'abnomal cells' more of a concern when a polyp is present? I am trying to reassure her that this is why we have regular paps and finding abnormal cells means they can do something before it becomes invasive cancer.

Polyps are usually benign and have nothing to do with the abnormal cells. Abnormal cells vary in grade and mostly are precancerous and can be treated before they become cancerous.

Berni, the pap smear is a screening test and, if abnormal, further tests - the colposcopy and biopsy are done. You haven't told me what the test results were so I cannot really explain them further. Pap smears screen the cervix, so the fibroid would not have been detected by this.

2
Posted by: Berni | 2005/12/14

Hi, I am 27 and after having 4 pap smears, 2 colposcopy and 1 biopsy in 6 months and being told all the way that "there's nothing to be concerned about" I am now schduled for surgery 19 January. All 3 procedures gave different degrees of abnormality.
I would actually like to know from the expert, what the hell is wrong with me??? Why is all this happening? They keep on saying I am too young to have these results but they can't give me any answers. I had a myomectomy in October, that thing was huge! And my one breast is also under scrutiny. No family history to give easy answers. When is it all going to end?

Reply to Berni
Posted by: MC | 2005/12/14

I am not sure about the Polyp but I am 24 and I have had 'abnormal' cells on several occasions and I have to go for a pap every six months so they can monitor it. My doctor says that I have nothing to worry about as long as I come in for the regular check and they don't get worse - they just seem to stay the same.

Reply to MC