Question
Posted by: doll | 2007/03/27

cervical fibroids

hi there, please help me i have a fibroid in my womb which makes my tummy so big that i look pregnant. my dr says i have to remove my womb but im too reluctant about that what other remedy is there to help me. i dont menstuate for +/- 3 years and im 43 without kids (infertile).

Dear Doll
In some cases they can remove just the fibroid, but if you are not going to have children or if the fibroid is so big that they can't remove it without damaging the rest of the uterus, removing the whole womb may be the best option. They do not have to remove the vagina or ovaria for this, so your sexlife will still be normal - they just remove the womb part.
see http://www.4woman.gov/faq/hysterectomy.htm
Get a second opinion if you are not sure - this is a big operation.