Question
Posted by: worried | 2003/12/03

cervical dysplasia

had 1 1/2 weeks ago cervical cone biopsy with the result:abnormal cells,some 3rd grade cells,but as my gynae said no cancer.have to come in a month for cone biopsy check-up and in six month for pap smear and colcoscopy. he said that ther is a 10 % chance of reoccurence.Does that mean if there are again abnormal cells that I will have to have a hysterectomy.I am 39,aerobicinstructor,stopped smocking a year ago,no other health problems or cancer history in family.I am driving myself crazy with worry and possibly need to hear somebody putting my mind at ease

If the cone biopsy completely removed the cells, there is a good chance that they will not recur, though this will need careful follow-up. If there is a recurrence, hysterectomy would be one of the options. Others might be laser or re-excision.