Posted by: Farayi | 2012/05/07

cervical cancer

Dear Doc

my mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 2b almost 3 weeks ago. She lives in Zimbabwe. she has started chemotherapy plus radiation therapy in Zimbabwe but the radiation therapy machine (only one for the whole country) has broken down due to overload as it can''t handle pressure from that many patience (the whole country).

I would like to find out if it is possible that if she were to come to south africa, to continue her treatment. What would be required for this to happen?

Do you know roughly how much these treatments would cost in south Africa? She was prescribed daily radiation treatment for 25 days and chemotherapy once a week for 5 weeks.

Could you also refer me to good hospitals in cape town that could do this treatment? Money is really scarce, so perhaps you could refer me to hospitals that would carry out these treatments for a reasonably fair price?, both private and government? I have heard that some government hospitals offer really bad service so i would like to avoid these and go with the better government ones you might know, or also the reasonably cheap private ones, if you know of any.

This is really a trying and stressful time for the whole family and we are trying to be strong for her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you can, could you please also respond to my yahoo email as i check this more often.



Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I think that it is a good idea for your mother to come to South Africa. You can start by consulting a private oncologist. He/she can then refer her to the oncology department at Tygerberg Hospital. I am not sure about the costs involved but the oncologist will be able to assist you with the information. Many people who do have medical aid, are not always covered and I am therefore, sure that the oncologist will be able to give you the best advice.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.