Question
Posted by: Cellulite | 2006/04/19

cellulite

hi Doc,

i am 21 and weigh 58kg, and i am 1.76m and suffer from cellulite, i run and do taebo 4-6 days per week, what it the best exercise you would recommend to help with the cellulite, OH and i drink 3litres of water a day and water does NOTHING, so dont recommend drink water, thanks allo

God bless :0

Hi Cellulite

Difficult one, because you are certainly not overweight, and so where often the solution is to try to lose weight (that is, fat mass) through regular training, this is not quite the same. However, the same or a similar principle applies. that is, the key is regular cardio, which you are already doing, added to eating really well. the bottom line is the cellulite is simply fat, stored beneath the skin in compartments, and to cut a long story short, the connective tissue around the fat cells begins to take on this 'orange peel' appearance. So the answer is to try to combat fat, and that means eating less of it and burning more of it. As far as your exercise goes, the key ingredient that you may be missing is either intensity or duration - I don't know how long or how hard you are training, but the truth is that you probably need about 45 to 60 minutes of relatively hard exercise. This doesn't mean hard every day, but it doesn't mean easy every day either. I would suggest, however, that you up the intensity, because it my experience, often people make the error of training too easy and it's the harder training like interval training that can be quite effective.

As for the water don't worry - even the 3L you are drinking now is probably over the top - just drink when you are thirsty and not more, and you will be fine.

Finally, diet is a key, key aspect and I can't stress enough how vital it is, and so my advice if you are serious is to see a dietician about it, or else just make the sensible eating choices where you can.