Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2007/02/27

cellphones ettiquettes in relationships

What is the ettiquette when it comes to cellphones and marriages and relationships?

Are they something to share with a lovers or married couples or just dating partners they must share?

how private can the cellphones be in a relationships?

should a partner be snooping into their partner's cellphone?

what if you snoop, find out and you are hurting?

is it like enquiring about the past of your new lover and then find out they slept with 31 people before you dated them and you feel bad that you are number 32?

how should cellphones be treated in a relationship?

Don't snoop unless you can bear and live with whatever you might find out --- otherwise, it's like teasing a strange dog, and then complaining if he bites you

5
Posted by: Star | 2007/02/28

I believe the past is called just that for a reason, CS, I like the dog example!

Reply to Star
Posted by: -|||- | 2007/02/27

Me, I don't want to be in a relationship where I need to explain anything. To me trust means being taken at face value. If someone snoops on my phone and jump to all kinds of conclusions I afford them the excercise they're getting. I don't wipe anything from my call register or messages lest the boxes are getting too full and it starts affecting the phone's performance.

If a partner wants to be as stupid as to snoop on my phone she's got two options, either straight away phone the third party from my phone and risk making a fool of herself or live with whatever she found on my phone and don't interrogate me or bring this up at any later stage. But, yes I agree with you. In an open relationship there's no answering phones around the corner and hiding / locking your phone in the safe when you get home. It creates suspicion, especially if a partner feels a bit insecure ;-).

We should all be brought up not to snoop into anyone's handbag, cupboard, snailmail, sms's, e mails. You were not the addresse in the first place so what were you doing there in the first place. A simple test for me is, if you forget your phone at home with your girlfriend there and you start panicking for who may be calling or what she may see on it it's a clear pointer that you're not walking the straight and narrow.

Reply to -|||-
Posted by: Nto | 2007/02/27

I support you on that Me, what can be so private you wouldn't want the other partner to find? It's just make me so sick.

Reply to Nto
Posted by: Me | 2007/02/27

but why should there be anything to hide? why should we fear finding out something that might hurt us? I thought there wasn't anything that is supposed to be found out on our partner's phones!!

Reply to Me
Posted by: G | 2007/02/27

CS is gonna LOVE this one ;-)

Reply to G