Question
Posted by: Esmaré | 2008/07/09

Celiac disease

I've read that the gut produces more Serotonin than the brain. I suffer of Celiac (extreme diarrhea) According to the article, Serotonin in the gut causes diarrhea. Is there any medication to lower the production of Serotonin in the gut? I feel so helpless, because I do not respond well to a gluten free diet - still diarrhea. I have developed Osteoporosis (I am only 28) because of malabsorption and use Imodium (handsful) I follow my diet very strictly to prevent cross-contamination, but results very poor. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Yes, more serotonin is indeed found in the gut. Currently no such treatment is available.

1
Posted by: Lizette | 2008/08/30

My father in law (JC du Pont) had carsinoid heart sindrome and because of it, too much seritonin. His oncologist treated him with positive results, the oncologist is Dr Henri Neethling in Nelspruit. (Imported a new injection from overseas), Dr tel nr is 013 - 755 2145.

Reply to Lizette