Question
Posted by: Delene | 2008/06/11

Celiac disease

I read that it has been established that the gut produces more Serotonin than the brain and that over-production of Serotonin can cause diarrhea. My daughter has been diagnosed with Celiac, but shows no (or very limited) response to her extremely strict gluten-free diet she follows.

Could the consistent watery stools and diarrhea perhaps be linked to over-production of Serotonin in the gut?

What types of medication lowers the production of Serotonin. I am desperate to find something that will help her - she has also been diagnosed with Osteoporoses at the age of 28 - due to mal-absorption in the gut. PLEASE HELP!!!

Dear Delene
Yes, it is true that the gut does produce more serotonin than the brain which can in certain cases cause diarrhoea (this is the case in patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome - diarrhoea variety). Did your daughter consult a dietitian for her gluten-free diet? if NOT, Please do encourage her to see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can do a diet history to determine if your daughter is perhaps inadvertently still ingesting some form of gluten. The dietitian will also be able to assist with a diet that helps to prevent osteoporosis. It may also be good to consult a physician who specialises in coeliac disease to find out if the use of certain medications can stop overproduction of serotonin in the gut if this should be her problem.
Holding thumbs for you and your daughter.

2
Posted by: celia | 2008/06/20

I would like to receive a gluten-free diet for my elder sister
(71 years of age), who has just been diagnosed with Celiac disease.

Reply to celia
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/13

Actually its prodused in the brain according to my kwoldge.
Different meds could lower it.

Reply to Zexeon