Question
Posted by: Milo | 2004/01/26

Ceaser, Breestfeeding and Yoga

Hi! Yoga

I would like to know if it's okay to join yoga classes. I had a ceaser four months ago and still breastfeeding.

thanks

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Milo – must admit that I had to check this one but according to “A Physiological Handbook for Teachers of Yogasna”: “If the birth is by caesarian section, light stretching for the incised area may start in two weeks because the abdominal area is highly vascularized and heals quickly.” I found no reference in any of the texts I researched regarding breast-feeding and don’t believe it to relevant to the practice of yoga in this instance. Having said this, bear in mind that part of the purpose of yoga is to develop a greater awareness of the physical body with the ultimate arbiter being you. Your body will know what is best for it and will tell you if you listen.
All the best
Chris
PS: the definition of vascular is: “Of, characterized by, or containing vessels that carry or circulate fluids, such as blood, lymph, or sap, through the body of an animal or plant.”

2
Posted by: mahesh | 2004/02/27

i have an early stage of cevical spondylesis,whether yogasna is useful to cure my spondylesis if yes by which Asana
is it safe for me to do Purva Bhushirasan.

Reply to mahesh
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/02/13

Hi Milo,

I have done Hatha yoga for 6 years now, and in that time I had 2 babies (natural births), I breastfed them each for a year.
After both I was back at yoga at 4 weeks after the birth.

Yoga has NO negative effects on breast feeding, and I think if anything the effect is possitive, i.e, being calm and allowing good blood flow encouraged milk production.

Last year I had a tummy tuck (to reapir my badly separted muscles and excess skin after carrying BIG babies - I am small). A tummy tuck scar is in the same place as the caesar sacr but 3 times as long. I went back to yoga at 6 weeks after that. I was careful for the first few weeks, and had sensitivity with the permanent stitching in my ab muscles at first, but recovered very well.

Yoga does nothing but good, in my opinion and experience... :)

Reply to Nuffing