Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/09

CD & CORNEL - SWOLLEN FOOT

CD

I woke up Fri am last with a swollen right foot. I never get swollen feet problems, even with the severe heatwave we have had in the last few weeks - my feet were fine. I know straight away when I get swollen feet, because I have thin ankles. I phoned my gp and he said maybe I should go if it doesn't get better and let him have a look at. I left it for the weekend and Sun night it seemed to get worse. I went Mon am thinking I would combine my blood test with going to my gp about my foot, so that I could save on another consult! Fat chance! He took one look at my foot and sent me straight away for x-rays. He said no he wasn't doing my blood test, he was worried I might have a blood clot. The swelling was so bad, I had bad pitting in my foot with very noticeable indentation marks. I had a venous doppler and they couldn't find anything, but the radiologist said they could sometimes miss something in smaller veins, so he suggested I had a venogram. Because I had intended having my blood test, I didn't eat before I left home because I was going to have my cholesterol test. I had to wait 1 1/2 hrs after my scan for the venogram, they were so busy at the x-ray dept. I left home at 09:30 and only got home at 14:30 - famished! The venogram didn't show anything either, but my gp said their no. 1 priority was to rule out a blood clot, given what my foot looked like - the swelling is half way up my foot as well.

Cornel

I went this am instead of tomorrow for my blood test and he looked at my foot again and seemed to think that it was maybe slightly better, but that if it didn't go away the only thing he could think of was sending me to a cardio vascular surgeon. I am going to wait till Fri next week to see what happens. If this doesn't settle down, something somewhere is wrong, however minor it might be.

CD
Why would a cardio vascular surgeon be his next option. My blood tests always include my kidney function tests, ie urea, creatinine so he does not think at the moment it is kidney related, but naturally my results will confirm/rule this out. I have had this swelling over a week now and nobody seems to know what it could be! My bp was a bit up 135/80 - its been stable at 130/80 for at least 6 mths but my gp is still happy at the moment with it.

Thanks for the help.

Enjoy the weekend.

Dear Anxious
If it was one leg only it could be a deep vein thrombosis and then a vascular surgeon may have to look and see if they need to open the vein or not. It also could be due to an infection in the soft tissue of the leg. Hope you got your blood tests already - did they do a D Dimer?

2
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/12

Thank you for the update! Sorry to hear that you are not well. Really hope they find a solution fast. If the swelling is not better, I don't think you should wait till Friday to go back to GP and then only he can refer you to C.Surgeon and then you have to wait for an appointment... the swelling can't be normal. Please keep me posted. Good luck, will be thinking of you.

Reply to Cornel
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/11

CD

What is a D Dimer?

No I only get my results tomorrow (Mon).

But neither the Doppler nor the Venogram showed up a blood clot!

Reply to anxious