Question
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/02

CD

CS

Did you manage to get your extra meds ok today? How's the arm? and how's Megamoggy? Hoping you are holding up ok.

One thing - please explain what has happened to the kids of today? Wherever you read/look you see these rude, bratish kids that "must have their ipods, cell phones, (the latest most expensive of course) etc. Not to mention these days quad bikes. I am referring to an article I saw this am on News24 about 2 13 & 14 year kids who were riding quad bikes (on a public road mind you!) They were riding on a sand road and crossed over a public road in front of a truck - the truck swerved to avoid them and rolled three times - the paramedics spent about 30 mins extracating the poor driver from the truck and the passenger was flung out and died being stuck under the truck. The 14 year old sustained severe injuries. The other kid was apparently not hurt. What type of parents allow kids of these ages to ride quad bikes to start with, never mind on the road? Firstly quad bikes are not licensed for road use anyway and secondly kids of this age riding them on the road?

Its no wonder there is so much teenage drug abuse and drinking going on these days, what with kids getting exactly what they want and not nearly enough discipline.

Oh and one other thing are SA youngsters so naive that they think they wont get caught smuggling drugs into/out of the country? That article in the paper on the weekend about the 21 year old woman who gave birth recently to her son in jail in South America? It is nothing short of tragic, but how can these people really believe they won't get caught, especiallly in South America? Now her 4 month old son will be without a mother for 3/4 years and even if she is allowed back into the country, she will have a permanent criminal record. The money is surely not worth the 99% chance of getting caught.

Just as well I went for the extra meds --- discovere that the 1st two pharmacists had given the wrong instructions with the pills, and I have been taking HALF the dose I should havem, of one of the major drugs, for the last 3 weeks ! ERGGGH !
Megamoggy is watching Birdivision. He has discovered a place where he can sit, quite high up, and watch the swallows flit in and out of their nest. Its looks as though he's watching Wimbledon.
Surely wildly irresponsible parents in the sort of example you quote. If kids capable of behaving so hugely irresponsibly were the only casualties, that'd be Darwinian and enhance the quality of society ; its the innocent victims I greive for. Quad bikes are driven like that by the kids of parents with too much money to spare, and too little effort to supervise how their wasteful expenditure gets used. Why are so many parents happy to throw money atg kids, and yet not prepared to give them time and closeness ? The kids should never have been allowed to drive, especially unesocrted, on or near any public road.
Drug smugglers need to be both greedy and stupid, don't they ?
And hey, I like CD's, too.

6
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/03

RMC now that's exactly how it should be! As far as I am concerned, a restricted area such a farm is fine, but NO public road, dirt or otherwise is ok. Kids need to be taught about proper rules of the road and the safety that needs to go with it.

Have a good day.

Reply to H25
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/03

Exactly, these kids should not have crossed the road as I said in my first post. The farm kids have been told if they even go onto a farm road they will have them taken away.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/03

RMC what you say is fine, that is off a public road, but for heaven's sake these kids crossed a tar road in front of a tuck - the truck driver had to swerve to avoid hitting them, which resulted in the truck rolling three times - him having to be extricated from the vehicle which took about 30mins and the poor innocent passenger being flung out of the vehicle and dying because he got trapped under the truck. My point? Kids of this age should NEVER be allowed to ride ANYTHING on a public road - if they want to ride bicycles fine but at this age they should do so with adults - if for no other reason then definitely for safety purposes. A guy has died as a result of this unacceptable situation where these kids were allowed to ride quad bikes on a public road. As far as I am concerned this is NOT OK. What about that poor guy's family who were probably relying on his salary for support?

If it was ok then why don't 11 years have driver's licenses?? Because they are far too young to be able handle the pressures of the roads - my god its bad enough for adults these days with the appalling traffic we have at the moment never mind youngsters like this!

Reply to H25
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/03

And I know this post is more about discipline -- but quad bikes can be worse than normal bikes sometimes as people don't realise how fast they can go and they can flip!

A few months back one of the friends at the farm brought his bike and these boys were churning up the mud in the rain - he flipped it and it landed on top of him. Thankfully all that broke was the exhaust off the bike.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: RMC | 2007/04/03

My child rides a quad bike with his friends on the farm - and the older one (11) does his scary BMX stunts - but there was a special track made exclusively for that.

I also thought,"What the dickens was the bike doing on that road?" I believe they tried to cross it or something? Obviously did not check for anything coming?

Reply to RMC
Posted by: H25 | 2007/04/03

CS

By the time you read this I gather you would have gathered that it was supposed to be CS and not CD - sorry about that!

Reply to H25