Question
Posted by: Nasty | 2005/12/02

CBT theoropist and cutting

CS said that I should see a CBT type theoropist. Err, excuse my ignorance, but can anyone explain what CBT stands for?
Other than that, I thought maybe I should mention that I am a bit of a cutter. Normally with a knife or something I slice my legs or arms. More often my legs in winter because nobody sees them. The last time I did it, was when my husband said he wanted a divorce. I was so devastated that I just started cutting. It started in high school. Although in school I used a compass to cut. I would scratch over and over again until the blood came. My favourite thing to cut is heart shapes...because my heart is broken. I am trying not to do it anymore because my husband caught me and threatened that if I do it again, he will leave me! He always threatens to leave me. That's why I feel so insecure.

Do check the archives of this forum, as I have explained several times how this works, and that this is the only counselling system with good evidence that it works well. CBT would probably be most helpful for you ; and maybe see if you can talk your husband into marriage counselling --- if he sees it as in exchange for your stopping the cutting / scratching, and as a way that he can be really helpful to you in solving that problem that he wants you to solve, he may take part --- and that could then deal with your concerns about his threats to leave you.
let us know how it goes

1
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/12/02

Nasty, CBT means Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and your husband's lack of understanding. I can't give you advice, except that you should urgently see a therapist. All the very best to you.

Reply to Buzz