Posted by: Nasty | 2005/12/02

CBT theoropist and cutting

CS said that I should see a CBT type theoropist. Err, excuse my ignorance, but can anyone explain what CBT stands for?
Other than that, I thought maybe I should mention that I am a bit of a cutter. Normally with a knife or something I slice my legs or arms. More often my legs in winter because nobody sees them. The last time I did it, was when my husband said he wanted a divorce. I was so devastated that I just started cutting. It started in high school. Although in school I used a compass to cut. I would scratch over and over again until the blood came. My favourite thing to cut is heart shapes...because my heart is broken. I am trying not to do it anymore because my husband caught me and threatened that if I do it again, he will leave me! He always threatens to leave me. That's why I feel so insecure.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Do check the archives of this forum, as I have explained several times how this works, and that this is the only counselling system with good evidence that it works well. CBT would probably be most helpful for you ; and maybe see if you can talk your husband into marriage counselling --- if he sees it as in exchange for your stopping the cutting / scratching, and as a way that he can be really helpful to you in solving that problem that he wants you to solve, he may take part --- and that could then deal with your concerns about his threats to leave you.
let us know how it goes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/12/02

Nasty, CBT means Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and your husband's lack of understanding. I can't give you advice, except that you should urgently see a therapist. All the very best to you.

Reply to Buzz

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.