Question
Posted by: curious_j | 2003/03/26

CBT: for who?.. and what is it?

I would just like to ask the doc to explain Cognitive-Behavior-Therepy to me. How would a person recognise if he needs it. What excatly happens during this therepy?

OK< Curious, here's a VERY brief summary. CBT is helpful in a broad range of problems. It's a form of psychotherapy ( talking therapy ) which focusses on cognitions ( your automatic thoughts and expectations and theories of how the world works ) and their relationship to behaviour ( what you choose to do about the way the world works ). It considers you to be an intelligent and reasoning person, and potentially a scientific experimenter. You explore and identify what assumptions you are making about your world, and examines the consequences of those assumptions. YOu explore alternative explanations and expectations, and test them ; deciding to try out alternative ways of responding to events and people, and to select alternative ways of thinking about and responding to, the world and other people, on the basis of which wok best to make you happier and more efective in achieving your goals.