Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2008/05/26

CBT

Well, I've just come back from my shrink for my first CBT session and I must say, I'm impressed. Practical advice on how to change/improve things and the homework is easy.

I did pick up, however, that he doesn't share CS's excited enthusiasm for the method, but I stuck to my guns and it looks like this is how we're gonna work on my self-esteem and smoke issues.

Thanx for suggesting this practical method to me.

And there IS homework that doesn't rely on dreaming ! I didn't think I was"excited" --- its rather that I have seen good evidence of its value, both in person and in research, and have NOT seen such results from any other method. If anything better turns up, supported by similar research, I'll be excited about that ! And like you, I applaud it's practicality, rather than the airy-fairy wishy-washy analytic stuff which never actually gets anywhere. The only possible flaw in his method might be if he DOESN'T seem enthusiastic about it --- enthusiasm is a potent ingredient ! If he, with you, sets concrete goals, you can tell within a reasonable amount of time whether you're getting there or not. Other methods tend to avoid setting clear goals, so that they never allow themselves to be found wanting
Good luck --- keep us posted as to how it goes.