Question
Posted by: Second chance | 2008/01/25

CBT

I've starting the above therapy next weeek. This is the first time in my life that I will be going for counselling sessions and I am extremely anxious.... Please give me more of an idea of what this therapy is all about?..and how will it help me? How many sessions would I have to attend? Will it be worth it?

I'm scared but I wanna be helped!

These are issues you will need to discuss with your therapist, in addition to anything I say here ! CBT. like any form of therapy, should start with a general discussion about the nature of your problem, so the therapist can get a clear idea of what the problems are, and to clearly understand how you want things to change. He should also provide a good explanation of CBT, how it works, and his way of using this excellent technique. How long it takes depends on you, the therapist, and the nature of the problems --- but it is almost always shorter than the duration of other modes of therapy ( especially analytical methods which can take many years without producing any recognizeable change !)
CBT ( good idea to look in up on the web, doing a google search, perhaps ) aims at identifying negative and unhelpful habits of thought and behaviour that create or perpetuate your problems, and help you to identify these, to explore alternatives and test them, so you can modify your unhelpful habits into constructive and fruitful ones