Question
Posted by: getting old | 2005/07/24

causes of stillbirth

hi
i lost mymbabygirl two and half weeks ago at full term.my placenta was 480 gr and my baby weighed 2.4. kg.i dont know exactly what went wrong but the gynea i went to on monday said it might be placenta abrubtio or some kind of clot.i am still waiting for a histology report from the maternity hospital i went to.i am trying to figure out if it could have been prevented.i had decreased movements at about 37,5 weeks and went to a government hospital at 2 am to check on the baby.they told me she is sleeping and that at later stages in pregnancy the babies move less.in the last week i experienced the same and i was less worried because i thought that nothing could go wrong.i was in telephonic contact with the midwife and saw my gp at about 38 weeks for a chest infection for which i was given lots of antibiotics.he didnt examine the baby at those visits.i got the impression that evrything must be ok if no one is bothered to check the baby.when i went into labour we checked for a heart rate and there was none.i am strating to think i caused the babies death, by negligence.what can i do to find out what caused it.mny baby has been cremated so an autopsy is impossible.i had 3 scans throughout my pregnancy and an amnio.i am 34 now.evrything was normal and the last time a doctor listened to her heart rate it was between 127 and 150.that was at about 38 weeks.
thank you

If the heart rate was normal at 38 weeks, I douubt that there is anything that could have been done. Placental abruptios happen within a few minutes and there is not usually a warning.

5
Posted by: getting old | 2005/07/25

thanks for the replies...its been 17 days.i phoned my mom today to check on the reports...she was hponing all the doctors etc.we will know in about 2 weeks what caused it.i just cant help but feel that if i had a better team of dr and so on that we would have found out.she looked so perfect.i cant get over the fact that it was so late in the pregnancy.she came on her due date but was dead maybe two days...we dojnt know exactly.i just feel like the loss is something that is so finite.i will never get this baby back.i can try to have another, but she will never be with me in this life.
confused, thanks for telling me about your experience...it gives me hope.i hope you are ok now...
love getting old

Reply to getting old
Posted by: confused#1 | 2005/07/25

Dear Gal
Sorry 4 everything that u went through...i went through the exact thing.Just a matter of time, and you will be ok.I also at some stage used to blame myself but i realised that the devil does not want us to be happy, and therefore he tries by all means to destroy what we have. Just keep praying and ask God to give u the strength.Right now i'm preggies again just after a year..and i'm looking forward..and hope that all will be fine.

Reply to confused#1
Posted by: Moi | 2005/07/25

Please, dont blame yourself. there is nothing that you could have done to change things. you were in contact with your doctor and midwife, and they assured you that all was well, so how were you to know otherwise?
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I wish that there were something that i could say that would make you feel better or change things, but there isnt. just know that you are not alone, and just on this site, there are plenty of women here that are prepared to listen and to give you a shoulder to cry on.

Reply to Moi
Posted by: Mel | 2005/07/24

When tragedy strikes, we always find something to blame ourselves for. One can never answer the queston What If. I am truly sorry for your loss, but please don't blame yourself or drive yourself crazy by asking yourself what you could have done differently. You asked professionals, who guided you, there really isn't much more you could have done. Just remember your angel might not be with you physically, but definately is with you in spirit, watching over you. Hang in there and take one day at a time. God bless!

Reply to Mel
Posted by: karin | 2005/07/24

words fail me, i cannot believe what a terrible ordeal you have been thro, i cannot answer your questions but feel, very strongly that you must have a second opinion, speak to your doc, the staff that delivered your baby and take it further if you have too, terrible things do happen in labour, but you seem to have done all the right things, again i am so very sorry for your loss, i hope that you do find some answers, and find the strength to go on. if you wait until monday you will receive a lot of support and help from these woman on this site, it is very quiet on the weekend. xxx

Reply to karin