Question
Posted by: Tshepo | 2005/11/29

CAUSES OF KELOIDS

I have keloids on my knee, elbow , and eight months ago I had c-section the scar seem to be developing into a keloid.

What I want to know is the causes of the keloids. I really dislike the sight of them esp. on my tummy.

What can I do to remove them? and prevent this c-section scar from developing or becoming keloid?

Is there a treatment for this?

Please help.

Tshepo, the cause of keloid isn’t clearly understood, but it comes down to scar tissue forming and not responding to the normal processes that limit it. In other words it isn’t a tumour; it is just excessive scar tissue. You can try Kelo-Cote™ gel on the scar immediately after the operation and not irritating the scar unnecessarily. You can also have the area radiated to limit the growth of the scar. Discuss the problem with your gynaecologist and he will explain all the pros and cons to you. Good luck.

1
Posted by: B | 2005/12/02

It seems as though dark skin keloids more than lighter skin. As doc mentioned, make sure not to rub it or agrivate it in anyway so that the scab falls off on its own.

This may sound wierd, but both my partner and I absolutely love scars. We think they are really beautiful. When I had a cut recently I tried to make it keloid and did lots of research on it. Unfortunately with my light skin it did not keloid too much but still managed to leave a good scar.

Hope you are able to minimize yours, but if not - love them, they prove that you are alive.

Reply to B