Question
Posted by: gina | 2004/10/22

Causes of fibroid/myom

I am 43 years old, never had children and very healthy. I am not overweight and regularly go to gym. I have also a very healthy lifestyle. I do not eat fatty foods and try do do the right things in life. I have a very stressful job which I love. I want to know what causes a fibroid/myom? I feel that I may have done something to warrant this growth. I have read up on the origin of the fibroid, but cannot understand whether I did something wrong.
I need to go for a hysterectomy and the fibroid is 7 inches big. It is apparantly behind the uterus..Is there a possibility that it can be cancerous? I do not have trouble with it at the moment except go the toilet more often. The gynea has indicated that she will leave the ovaries. I feel I have failied as a woman, because it is the first time in my life that I have to go for a operation. I am also scared. Could you give me advice what to do. I am also too ashamed to tell my parent and my friends. Only my partner knows and he is very supportive, but still.

Fibroids are dependent on hormones and not caused by anything one does. They are very common over the age of 40 years. About 50% of women have fibroids of some size. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you should certainly not feel that you have failed as a woman. The chances of cancer are very low. Unfortunately, as on gets older the chances of illnesses and operations increases.

Anneloubser, please post your question as a seperate posting.

1
Posted by: Anneloubser | 2004/10/23

I'm 48 years old, married, and have three children. As I have problems with breast lumps and fore-ever some or other threat when I go for mammogram, I was advised never to use Premarin.I can sense that I'm most definately approaching the menopause as I now have my periods every 2 weeks, which I find tiring. Also have myom in uterus which my doctor said was harmless. Can you please advise me on herbal medication I can use that will be safe in this instance to replace Premarin?I must admit that I experience fatigue, forgetfulness and mostly. Thanks a lot for advise - looking forward to reply.

Reply to Anneloubser