Question
Posted by: Catlady | 2004/12/01

Cats " Dandruff"

Dear Doc. I have 15 cats varying in age from under 1 year to 15½. The very old cat has had dandruff for a very long time but refuses to take "Mirrorcote" either by spoon or in her food. She eats Hills Senior, Lucky Pet and homecooked chicken - they all do. Now I have discovered that two of my other older cat have dandruff too and though I groom them it doesn't seem to help. What can I do to get rid of this dandruff? They are all healthy, vaccinated, dewormed, happy cats except for this dandruff problem.

Hi Catlady
Dandruff is often a sign that cats are not getting enough oil in their diets. You could add up to half a teaspoon of fish oil, butter or vegetable oil to the diet every day. If you put this or Mirrorcote onto one paw, the cat will lick it off eventually. Regular brushing also helps. Some people recommend bathing cats in baby shampoo or spraying the coat with olive oil or handcream, but remember the cat will lick it off, so be careful that the ingredients are safe. I have found that a teaspoon of plain yoghurt or a lactobacillus prebiotic capsule added to the food for a few days helps with any skin condition. Dry skin conditions are often related to stress, so check that your cats are relaxed and have all their needs met.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST