Question
Posted by: Debrad | 2007/04/11

Cats coat!

My Chinchilla appears to be allergic to chicken. If she eats anything chicken based she comes out in sores, mostly on her head and neck. She then has to get a cortisone injection from the Vet. However, her coat should be thick and long. It isn't - it's very thin and it just comes out in the bunches when I brush her. I have heard Salmon Oil will help and I subsequently bought the tablets, cut one in half and sprinkled it over her pellets. Now she won't eat her pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions? The tablets are so big I really don't want to force it down her throat everyday!

There are diets formulated for cats with coat problems. These are available from your vet or local Vet Shop. Let me know if you don't find them. Please tell whoever you buy from that the cat appears to be sensitive to chicken so they should give you a diet that has a different protein source.

3
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/11

PS If you wet the pill it will go down easier! The other thing is you can get gel "pills", they are easier to get down (when wet).

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/04/11

Try MirraCote. You get it from the vet en also sprinkle it over pellets. Some cats will lick it off a spoon. Some cats hate it. Just pop pill in mouth, much easier. You will get the hang of it soon. I don't use a pill popper, hate the things but if you have a difficult cat, wrap him in a blanket (with paws and nails inside!), then open mouth (or get someone to help you) and just pop it down.

Hope it helps.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/04/11

try mooshing it in peanut butter or fish paste or liver spread
they get wise to the idea so be varied with what you use.

to be honest i found just giving them their pils alot easier thancoaxing them to eat them.

you get this injection thingie that kinda shots the pill down their throat, personally i don't like the thing, but that is cos i have never gotten it right ;)

By the way linseed oil also helps with the coat, but speak to your vet before introducing anything new to kitties diet.

Reply to Blaah