Question
Posted by: Mr R | 2003/12/11

Cats catching poisoned rates

Our prize siamses cats go out and hunt at night. they catch - what I know of - 2 mice and 2 rates per week. The problem is that they actually eat a large portion of the mice (yuk) - why I dont know - they have tones of food. The rats they only seem to kill. Sometimes the mice reeks of rat poison. I had to rush my cat to the vet the next day twice already for that seemed to be -poisoning from eating the poisoned mouse. The neighbours denies using poison but someone is... Is there an antidote we can feed the cat? or even something that will make her vomit? Any ideas please?

Most types of rat poison contain substances that prevent blood clotting, and the antidote is vitamin K. Since we do not know what type of poison these rats may have taken, I cannot simply recommend giving vitamin K, although it is unlikely to do any harm. Also, to the best of my knowledge, rat that eat this type of poison does not normally smell of the poison.

Why do they do it? To show you what good hunters they are, and for pudding after the nice food you gave. It is not a reflection on the quality of your food!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town