Question
Posted by: julia | 2003/03/20

cats and pregnancy

I've got 2 cats a dog and a bird, everyone tells me that I should get rid of my cats because of the baby. Now I cant do that because I took that responsibility to look after them when I got them and they are apart of my family. please give advice on how I can ensure my newborn will not be affected by my cats and exactly why cats are so harful to new born babies.
I know my child should come first but they my children as well. and I love them dearly

The main concern is that cat litter may be infected with toxoplasma, which can cause harm to the pregnancy. You should thus avoid cleaning litter trays. Also some children are allergic to cats. This will become clear over the course of time.

1
Posted by: SJ | 2003/03/20

HI, I HAVE HEARD THE SAME THING.GET RID OF YOUR CATS. MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT A CAT WILL SMOTHER THE BABY AS IT GETS JEALOUS OF THE NEW ARRIVAL.I RECENTLY BOUGHT A COT AS I AM 8 WEEKS PREG AND MY ONE CAT LOVES IT.SHE THINKS IT IS THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER.I THINK THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT IS WASHING YOUR HANDS AFTER FEEDING THEM OR CLEANING THE LITTER BOX.I AM SURE THE CAT WILL RUN A MILE WHEN IT HEARS THE BABY SCREAM FOR THE FIRST TIME.BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU WILL HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE JUST IN CASE ONE OF THE CATS WANTS TO CUDDLE ON THE BABY'S FACE. TWO OF MY CATS ARE IGNORING ME NOW, THEY MUST KNOW SOMETHING IS UP.....

Reply to SJ