Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/13

cats and fleas

Since summer is on its way and along with it fleas i would love to know how i can get rid of fleas on my 2 children (female cats aged 1 and 1 and a half). they do not go outside but the fleas come in on our land ladys dog who lies infront of the door on the outside and the cats lie on the floor infront of the door on the inside!

I have tried to bath them with flea shampoo (i still have the battle scars!) and i have tried flea powder (made me scared cos they LOVE to groom each other) and i have tried flea collars (which they hated and wouldnt sit on my lap for 2 weeks after only wearing them for 30 minutes and running around the house backwards trying to escape!!).

I was thinking about trying front line but is this poisonous for cats if they lick each other? and ive heard that they cant get wet after having it on for a certain amount of time which wont work as they LOVE to climb into the bath with you (they just hate to be put there by someone else).

Is there anything else i can give them? Maybe a pill as they are very good about taking pills ( they take one bob martin every day and then still meow for another!)

Plkease help as i hate to see them itch and be uncomfortable!

This spot on type products available from your veterinarian (like the Frontline you mention) is by far the safest and most effective options available to us these days. It is a simple matter of a few drops of this product on the back of the neck, applied monthly. These products should ideally not be applied to within four days after a bath, and the cat should not be bathed for four days after applying. Thereafter, the product would have entered into the skin and bathing has less effect on it. Please note that this is not the same as the spot on organophosphate type products available from supermarkets for dogs (EXTREMELY poisonous to cats).

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/14

I use flea powder on the dog! the dog is more mine than hers since i feed him and play with him and give him fresh water 2 times a day! she just ignores him all the time. hes a Rottweiler

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/13

The pills are called Program. They don't work immediately, though, and they are no good if more fleas keep coming in. They work by making the fleas infertile, so they die out..

There are pills called Capstar which work almost immediately and last only a short while.

However, unless the source of the lfeas - your lanlady's dog! - is also treated, then all you will be doing is wasting your money.

It's probably going to be a bit expensive for you to treat the dog as well - but can't you perhaps sneak it into a dip while the landlady's out? Assuming she herself doesn't want to do anything about it, that is.... The best solution of course would be for you to talk to her and both of you to make a plan about your respective pets!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/13

I was going to suggest frontline .. cant u keep them out of the water for two days ??

There are pills .. but for the life of me i cant remember the name ask yr vet ...

My cats dont speak to me for a month after I use frontline .. I always gert my daughter to do it just before she goes abck to tech .. by the time she comes home again they have forgiven her .....

Reply to carol