Question
Posted by: Catlady | 2003/02/08

Cats and Emphysema

Dear Cyberdoc
I have been asked to rehome a beautiful Siamese cat due to the husband having been diagnosed with emphysema. Does having a cat really contribute towards emphysema or is this a fallacy? The teenage daughter is in tears over having to rehome the cat and I would like to alleviate their fears if at all possible so as to prevent any further trauma to both cat and owners.

Catlady, the cat can’t be the cause of the emphysema. It might worsen the symptoms if the person is allergic to cats, but it can’t be blamed for the emphysema. Good luck.