Question
Posted by: rd | 2007/04/05

Cataract

I have been for two eyes checkups as I noticed that the sight in my one eye is not as great as the other. He told me that I had a slight cataract and if it bothered me he could operate. What I don't understand is that no options were given. I wear specs but he said that he would not bother to prescribe stronger lens.

Why could I not have been given the choice of different specs?

Dear RD
A Cataract is an opaque-ness of the lens, in other words the lens become "cloudy". Getting stronger spectacles won't really make any difference in your vision - they have to remove the lens and replace it with another one to make it clear again.
See http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-810-1688,17723.asp

These days a cataract operation is a local anaesthetic, day hospital procedure as they remove the old lens with laser and insert the new lens through a very small hole in the eye. After 15 minutes you sit up and you can see! My dad just had it (and he is quite scared of operations) - he says it was wonderful. Your eyes are a bit scratchy afterwards and you have to use eyedrops and keep it closed for the 1st 24 hours ( so he did his, one at a time)