Question
Posted by: Cibella | 2004/10/19

Cat's head shaking slightly

Every so often I notice that my 4 year old cat's head shakes slightly. Her eyes look OK during the shaking. If she were human, I would explain it as if she has a mild case of Parkinson’s disease. What is causing this?

Probably nothing to worry about. Although very mild epilepsy may cause shaking of only a limb or the head, if it is only that mild, it needs no treatment.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

5
Posted by: Cibella | 2004/10/22

Something got lost between the original question and the answers. The description of what happens is: her head shakes slightly (not as if a flea sits on het ear, ot she flicks her ears) It is a small movement of her whole head - as if a tiny electrical current is passing thru her. I dd not refer to a shake.

But thanks for the info on the mites. I'll look out for that.

Reply to Cibella
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/22

Your vet will have to look ... if it is mites, it is irritating her and the vet will probably give some treatment. I always say check out the most obvious thing first.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: oooo | 2004/10/21

maybe shes trying 2 shake the mites out of her ears

Reply to oooo
Posted by: Cibella | 2004/10/21

How will I know whether it is mites or just normal ear dirt? I don't want to traumatise the baby unnecessarily by taking her to a vet if it is not mites.

Reply to Cibella
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/20

Cibella, you might want to take a look in the cat's ears. She might have mites in her ears or some type of infection. If not that you will have to investigate further.

Reply to Pi