Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/14

Cat With Tail Down

Hi all. On Sunday I noticed my senior cat walking with her tail slightly curved and then hanging straight down. Her tail is always alert and straight. Since she has been having on going problems with her anal sacs, we thought it might be related. Yesterday we took her to the vet, who examined her. As soon as he started pressing in at the base of the tail, she hissed and growled, but not much around the anal sac area. He decided not to take an x-ray, as it would probably not show anything. He gave her an anti-inflammatory/pain injection, along with three days tablets worth of the same. The vet feels it might have been some trauma that caused it, but we cannot figure out what. She has access to a garden, which she is only allowed into when we are home. We have high walls so she can' t get outside (especially being senior with arthritis in her one elbow) and there are no cats nearby in the neighbourhood. We have birds that visit our bird feeder but that' s about it. The only thing I can think of is the cat flap we had made for her 6 months ago in our security gate. Originally, the opening was not to my satisfaction and I made them make it higher, as I was worried she would bump her back each time she went through it. It is still not very high and right by back stairs, so I' m wondering if this has been the cause after all, and that she is knocking her back area on it. I have, since yesterday, closed the flap and I just open the gate now. The only change in her routine has been the addition of Fortiflex to her diet, which has helped her arthritic elbow enormously! Does anyone have advice and how long it should be before we see any improvement or had a similar experience? This morning her tail hung even lower on the ground, but she lifted it alot when I patted her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dear Melbalina

I suspect her tail got stuck somewhere and she pulled hard on it or she was attacked and bitten by a cat in that area. This is a common injury when the cats just escape a car on the road but the tail is too late and gets caught under the wheel. Either way she should be lots better in a couple of weeks on the meds.

Posted by: Mandi | 2008/10/14

I' d give the tablets time to work. If its a muscle injury, then it would take a couple of days to heal.
I don' t think it’ s the catflap which caused the problem. If she bumped her back hard enough to cause trauma to her tail, then you probably would have seen some form of injury on her skin and/or the vet would have felt some swelling.
It’ s impossible to tell what could have caused the problem, but give it a couple of days. If you don' t see an improvement after you finished the tablets, then you can speak to your vet again.
Good luck!

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Melbalina | 2008/10/14

I forgot to add that she is still eating healthily, is mobile and using her litter tray regulary - there have been no changes in the before mentioned.

Reply to Melbalina