Question
Posted by: Harwarr | 2004/02/19

Cat with itchy, scaly skin and hair loss

Hi, for years my cat has recurrently suffered from itchy scaly scabs on her skin (neck area) which usualy clear up on their own. 2 months ago they started again but much worse, resulting in large scabby areas which she scratches until they bleed and weep. Tests have ruled out fungul infection or mites,etc. She has had steroid injections, to no effect. She is a nervous cat and is now covered in healed, part-healed and fresh scabs, mainly on her back, side and neck area. Any ideas what this is? It has been suggested that she take ovarid...will this help? Is there anything I can do for her which won't have side effects?
Thanks.

I am quite sure your vet would have checked, but most importantly for cats with dermatitis of the neck, is to make very sure that they have no fleas. Then, thereafter try using a commercial hypoallergenic diet formulated for cats with skin allergies. If it is still not successful, a more specific diagnosis needs to be made. Most drugs will have some sort of side-effects, and the progesterone drug you mention may result in diabetes in the long-term. In some cats, however, drug side-effects must be accepted if the condition needs to be controlled to provide relief. If you do not make any progress, ask your vet for referral to a specialist dermatologist.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town