Question
Posted by: Mandi | 2005/12/15

Cat who chews?

Hey all!
About a year ago I adopted a cat from the SPCA. The vet estimated her to be around 1 year old at that time. The problem is the fact that she chews everything in sight (and then eats it), and I mean EVERYTHING. Bed linen, wires, rubber bands, clothes, even carpets. I have had to give her Laxapet on a few occasions to get rid of blockages. Now, my question is; is this due to a dietry difficency, just theething, or is it simply a (very expensive) habit? She ONLY eats friskies dry and refuses to eat anything else. She doesn't even eat canned food (any brand). I have tried "forcing" her to eat food with a bit more protein by completely removing the dry food for a few days and just giving her canned food, but she would rather starve.
I'm worried that she might eat something which might cause a severe blockage. What can I do?

Hi Mandi

I would not say that her habbit is dietry related. I think it is a habbit and it could have something to do with her upbrining before you got her as a kitten.
I suggest you get an accreddited animal behaviourist in your area to assist you and do a consult with you.
The contact details are as follows:
email: animal-behaviour@mweb.co.za or www.animal-behaivour.org.za
They should be able to give you contact persons in your area.

Kind regards

Candice
Acc Animal Behaviourist

1
Posted by: Chill | 2005/12/16

I've said before, I'm no expert on cat behaviour, so don't take this as gospel... but my judgment says it has absolutely nothing to do with dietary deficiencies - it's a neurotic behaviour which may need the input of a qualified behaviourist to sort out.

Can you maybe prevent trouble by providing her with 'legal' chewy things? Like, rawhide doggy chews, for example? At least that way she's less likely to have problems with what she may swallow....

Also, as far as I am aware, dry cat food contains all the nutrients a cat needs, apart from water, so I'm not sure why you're concerned that she won't eat anything else. Have a look at the Friskies website - it's quite interesting and you can even download a nifty calendar from it! (It's www followed by friskies.com)

Reply to Chill