Question
Posted by: Peanut | 2004/12/20

Cat was in heat this weekend, when will we know if she's preggie?

My 6 & 1/2 month old cat went in heat on Thursday, there was a strange kind of yowling coming from her for 3 days, she was rubbing herself all over the garden ,etc.
Only 1 male pitched up, he was about twice her size. I'm not sure if they actually got the mating part right or not.
How do I tell if she's pregnant, or when will I be able to see the signs?

I want to get her fixed, but don't want to do so if she's already pregnant (obviously), I also didn't think it would happen so soon (her going on heat).
any advice plse?

If you're considering having her sterilised, the sooner the better. Your vet should be able to feel if she is pregnant by about 25 days after mating. The tummy will only start swelling after about six weeks. Unless you have specific homes for the kittens, consider having her spayed immediately.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town