Posted by: Astro | 2008/08/23

Cat vs dog

I have a cat and dog who get on really well. Last month I adopted another cat and dog, who are used to each other.
I am having trouble introducing the new cat to my dog, she hisses and growls at him and just wants to hide in the cupboard all the time when he is around. Even though she is used to dogs she is very nervous of him.
She has been in our spare room for about 4 weeks now because she is still nervous. When I let the dog in he gets anxious at her growling and jumps up at her (sitting in the top of the cupboard). this only makes her more scared and him more worked up.

This is now causing problems with the cat he is familiar with (the one I had already), when he hears or sees he he tends to run after her, scaring her and often making her run away which only leads to both dogs chasing her. they both cornered her last night and terrified her. He has never been bothered with my cat before bringing the new one into the house.

What can I do to introduce the new cat to the old dog and get them used to each other quickly and painlessly?

I am scared to let the new cat out as firstly she is scared of my dog and secondly he is now anxious about the cats and I am worried about what he will do if he chases and catches her

Dear Astro

Same advice as in reply 341. If you try to introduce cats and dogs the cat always should be able to escape if not happy with the situation. If you really want to scare your cat for life put it in a basket in a room and let the dog come running in and sniff the basket and say hello to the cat. Do it the other way around. Let some body hold the dog in a room bring the cat into the same area put the cat down and let the cat decide if it want to explore this situation a bit or escape. Here the feliway spray on your hands and in the room may help a bit.