Question
Posted by: BBS | 2006/07/14

CAT URINATING IN SIDE OUR HOUSE

I am at my wits end with our 9 month old cat, he has recently started urinating inside the house. He was house trained as a kitten, he did have 1 or 2 accidents when he was a kitten but we corrected this by making him smell the place where he had urinated and then smacked him (hope this was the right thing to do), but he has now started doing this again. Seems he finds anything soft and then off loads and the smell is awful. In the past 2 weeks he has done this in my husbands running shoes, my daughter school bag (twice), her slippers, on a dress that had fallen down in my closet and even on a couple of plasic containers on the kitchen counter!!! Every time he has done this I have carried out the same discipline as when he was a kitten but nothing is helping. I've also been using a spray on product to get rid of the smell and discourage him from doing it again, but then he just finds another place. What could the problem be? He has not been neutered yet, would it help if he was? Please could you advise because I'm now starting to resent him which is not healthy. We have another cat who is older, he was upset when we got the new cat but is over it now and he has very clean habits. Could the smaller one be jealous of the older one and perhaps marking his territory? I'd appreciate any advice.

Neutering is number one priority! Cats mark their territory by spraying urine and he is obviously doing this. Do other cats come into your home as well? Provide numerous litter boxes so that he has no excuse not to use one. Smakking the cat has no effect as you have found out. It's the hormones! So book him in for neutering. Your vet will be able to advise you about what to use until the hormone levels have dropped off (usually takes about 6 weeks). Unfortunately some cats develop bad habits that are difficult to break.

6
Posted by: jax | 2006/07/15

Let us know what happens....
Regards,
Jax

Reply to jax
Posted by: BBS | 2006/07/14

Thanks Jax, didn't consider that he could have a uniary tract infection, will have our vet look into that.

Reply to BBS
Posted by: jax | 2006/07/14

I had problems with my one boy as a teenager - at about 8 months, already neutered, already toilet-trained to use a litter box. And he suddenly started to pee in the bed and on the couch. About a week later, I discovered that when the 4 cats were all cuddled up together, Sam's brother was using his willy as a comforter and sucking on him, took Sam to the vet, found out that this had caused a raging urinary tract infection which we treated, and the vet recommended putting a very watered down citronella compound there, to break Stu of his suckling habit. And Sam went back to the litter box quite happily.
So by peeing everywhere, your kitty is quite possibly trying to tell you that he has a problem.
Having him neutered is also a good idea - for numerous reasons.

Reply to jax
Posted by: BBS | 2006/07/14

Sheryl and Buffs, thanks so much for the advice. Will take him to the vet on Monday. Like the idea of a sand box, it makes a lot of sense.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

Reply to BBS
Posted by: Sheryl | 2006/07/14

Hi BBS

Most male cats who are not neutered will spray at some stage so neutering should definetely be your first step. Your vet can check his
general health at the same time in case there is some physical cause for this behaviour.
Even though neutered cats may also spray when reacting to stress in their lives - neutering always helps to some degree - besides it has other benefits - your cat will be less likely to fight with other cats and will stay closer to home.
After neutering give your cat a couple of weeks for his hormones to subside and hopefully things will improve. There are various other things you could try - there is a lot of info on this on the net but I would say that neutering is the single most important thing - also dont punish him - it will stress him and make him spray more.

God luck

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/07/14

YES neutering would help, your cat is marking his territory.

Never ever smack any animal, they do not understand violence as a form of discipline.

Also try putting a kitty litter box somewhere inside the house for him, maybe he thinks its too cold to go outside when he has to pee.. if you change the litter often it wont smell.

Reply to Buffs