Question
Posted by: desperate | 2005/01/13

Cat lower urinary tract disease (again!)

I wrote early in December (# 1593) re my male cat having lower urinary tract. Luckily during the holiday period he was OK, but 2 days after I got back - he struggled again to urinate.

I took him to the vet + he spend 4 nights at the vet. After an analysis of his urine - there was no cristals or any sign of an infection. So it seemed as if he's just experiencing some spasms in the area. He was put on a drip & catether to just get all the functions working.

Last night he was OK and this morning before I left for work, there were 2 OK sized urine marks in his sand. During lunch time I went to check on him and it seems as if he's struggling again - no little messages in the sandbox. He is even meowing at his penis (as if to see - come on do your stuff).

I know that at this stage I'm definitely neurotic + paranoid - but what shall I do?

This is unfortunately a problem that can persist for several days or longer. They are many causes, including crystals, bacterial infection, bladder stones, viral infections, and sterile inflammation of the bladder and urethra. Using several examination techniques including analysis of the urine, x-rays and ultrasound, a specific diagnosis can be made. The treatment will depend on the specific diagnosis. Do not give up, it is not unusual to see this recurrence, but please contact your veterinarian again.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: desperate | 2005/01/14

Hi Carol
I'm feeding his Eubak.. - specially for urinary track conditions. This morning there was 2 medium sized marks in the sandbox. He was also chasing a dove. I get the idea that he does not really want to drink water - because then he needs to urinate and his penis is sore from the cateter.

Reply to desperate
Posted by: Carol | 2005/01/14

Take him back to the vet .. I also think this could possibly be related to his diet .. what are you feeding him ? perhaps take him of dry food and give him tinned food?

Reply to Carol