Question
Posted by: desperate | 2004/12/01

Cat lower urinary tract disease

My 1 yr old male was diagnosed with feling lower urinary ract disease on Monday. He came home today, but I had to take him back to the vet as he still had problems to pass urine. He's getting another kateder

What can I expect next? CAn anyone who had similar experiences give me some info

It depends on the cause of the lower urinary tract problems. If crystals caused the urinary tract to block up, continued feeding of the correct diet will usually prevent recurrence of the problem. If other causes such as excessive epithelial tissues blocking the penis caused the problem, it may possibly be recurrent. Remember that the penis and bladder is currently extra sensitive, and may cause ongoing symptoms for a few days. As long as he is able to pass urine, it should be okay.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: desperate | 2004/12/09

To give you some feedback - after a week in hospital, my cat seems almost his normal self. He's been home for 2 nights and he is passing urine - smaller amounts than normal and he is still licking his penis, but he's playing and eating well.

Reply to desperate
Posted by: Vlooi | 2004/12/02

I dont know if this is the same as the case of my son's cat. His cat also had urinary infection and had problems passing urine. In the end (after a lot of money and suffering) the vet operated and made him a female. It sounds funny, but according to the vet the opening in the penis was very small and that caused the problem. The vet then did an operation in which the male organ was formed with a bigger opening, making the cat look like a female. The cat was in the vet hospital for a week. This is much safer as they tend to lick or scratch out the stitches. I am glad to give you the good news that this happened about 8 months ago and the kitty is as good as new. Trust that you will get you kitty well.

Reply to Vlooi