Question
Posted by: Misty | 2004/10/12

cat losing hair

I have a long haired cat (not a persian though), and lately her hair has been falling out so much it's becoming unbearable. Usually she does lose more hair with the change of seasons, but this time it's outrageous, the whole house is full of hair and it's falling out in bunches and even though there's no bale spots on her body, I'm a little worried that this could be a defficiency of some sort, is there anything I can do to prevent this? She's also scratching a lot and no she doesn't have fleas.

It is possible that your cat may have some form of allergy other than fleas, resulting in excessive itchiness and hence excessive shedding of hair. Other causes include any health problem resulting in loss of condition and loss of condition to the skin. I suggest a good clinical examination by your veterinarian to ensure that she is healthy. He can then also have a look at the skin to see if the cause of the loss of hair is evident. This is not always that easy or possible. Also make sure your cat is on a good quality diet, and dewormed at least once a year. In the meantime, daily brushing with a hair removal brush or gloves may at least help to prevent shedding of hair in places all around the house.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town