Posted by: Donette | 2008/08/20

Cat leukemia

Dear Doc, on Saturday morning i found my cat laying in the garden and not responding as normal. We took him to the Vet and he told us that without the proper blood tests he assume that my cat is suffering with feline aids or leukemia. He gave the cat antibiotics and said should he not respond to that it would be best to have the cat put to sleep. I read a bit more about this on the Internet and found to boost the immune system we can save my cat but where will i be able to find Lymphocyte T-Cell Immune Modulator? i really don' t want to have my cat put to sleep, what else can i do? this modulator is only use in america as per the web page, where in SA will i find it, or better yet, JHB

Dear Donette

The drug is made by Virbac if not mistaken. Phone the company and ask if available at all here. Importing a drug can be a logistical nightmare.

Posted by: peartree | 2008/08/22

Have the blood test, then you will know for sure. If it is positive put the cat to sleep immediately. It is very infectious. My daughter' s cat stayed with me for 3 months and gave leukemia to 4 of my cats. Do the test now and avoid passing this dreadful disease on to the whole neighbourhod. Cats can be vaccinated against this disease.

Reply to peartree