Question
Posted by: DO | 2006/07/27

Cat keep peeing on our bed

I hope you can help me out here.

We got a kitten when he was 8 weeks old. The people we got him from potty trained him and everything. But since we got him, he keeps peeing on our bed.

He does nr. 2 in his sand, but not nr. 1. He will scratch his sand, but not pee, and then pee on our bed.

We only notice is at nite, when we are home and in the morning before we leave for work. We washed our duvet, but he keeps peeing on our bed.

We literely have to take him to his sand about 5 times, before he pee there. We don't know where he pees during the day, because noting is wet or stink. We gave him a few slaps on the but and put him in his sand box everytime, but he doesn't want to learn.

What can we do? He is almost 3 months old.

I think that you will need some professional help with him. It will be best to have his habits changed soon. Maybe put a couple of trays in your bedroom for him to use too. This is a smell affair but as soon as he is using them you can move them towards the door, then into the passage and then on to where you will eventually keep them.

7
Posted by: DO | 2006/07/28

Thank you so much for all your help. Just remember I only give him a tap on the but when he get caught, and that is that.

He has his next appointment with the vet next week for his last injections, then I will ask him what to do.

Thank you.

Reply to DO
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/07/27

The problem with "talking dog" is that firstly, we don't fully understand the language and there are subtleties we leave out of the behaviour, and secondly the dogs know we're not dogs.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Sheryl | 2006/07/27

Hi DO

Are you using the same litter as the people that you got him from? - it would be worth it to contact them and ask them what they used - kittens can be very fussy about how it feels under their paws and if your litter is different he might not like it - he might be used to the other one - you could also give him two different litter boxes with different sand in each - maybe try one
of the ultrafine ones.
Maybe you could also try closing the doors to the rooms with beds while you are at work.
Buffs is right - your first step should be to go to the vet - a bladder infection is very possible - I've had two kittens with bladder infections in the past - it was easily treated with antibiotics and the kitten's behaviour improved very quickly after that.
Don't smack him - it will confuse him and make him mistrust you - If you smack him and then put him in the sandbox he will associate it with punishment and be less likely to use it.
Also maybe do a search on the net - there are many good tips.

Good Luck

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: WR | 2006/07/27

Hi There!

I'm probably gonna get taken too pieces about this, but here goes: I believe that a smack or a sharp 'NO!" can work for disciplining animals (not so sure about cats - so lets say then dogs...) BUT ONLY while they are busy with the action that you disaprove of.
There, thats my 2cents worth!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/07/27

No i dont understand A tap on the but is a tap on the but, its still smacking him.

Rather find out what is causing the problem, as i said it could be medical, he could be marking his territory if he is not neutered. there could be another cat coming into the house and upsetting him.. it could be anything but please have it checked out and no more taps on the butt!

Do what i do: I pick them up i look them dead in the eye.. i frown.. then i COVER THEM IN KISSES which they HATE. good punishment for me anyway!

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: DO | 2006/07/27

Thanks Buffs for your advice,

BUT you misunderstood me, we don't slap him hard, just a tap on the but, and it is not as if we like hurting him, I feel afwul doing it. UNDERSTAND

Reply to DO
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/07/27

Take him to a vet. This can be the cats way of telling you something isnt right like bladder infections etc.

And for GODS SAKE STOP SMACKING HIM, HE DOESNT UNDERSTAND PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but i just dont understand why everyone thinks smacking an animal helps!

Reply to Buffs