Question
Posted by: Suzi | 2004/02/05

Cat it's hair

My daughter's cat is eating her at night when she go to bed then the cat wrap herself in my daughters hair and eating it and then it fell asleep. Why is it doing it, and must he stop doing it. My daughter is a little bit worried. And in the mornings when I tie her hair he will sit on her lap and clime on her shoulder looking at her hair and bites it again. Please help

Hi Suzi
I would also be worried if I was your daughter. Her cat is probably suckling on her like a kitten would do to its mother. This is called infantile behaviour and is a more exteme version of purring and kneading that most domestic cats do. The reason they do this is that they see us as their mothers and as they are protected and fed by us they never really grow up. Kittens that are taken from their mothers too early often show more marked signs of infantile behaviour. The hair is not good for the cat as it may contribute to hairballs. My suggestion is that you close the cat out of your daughter's room at night. You can give the cat a comfortable sleeping place in another room and even give him a soft toy to cuddle with. Once he is using his own bed (e.g. a blanket) then you can try moving the blanket back into your daughter's room. She must then push the cat off if he bites her hair and encourage him to sleep on his blanket with his toy. She could also sleep with some sort of hat on for a while to deter him. While you do her hair I suggest you give him his food or keep him out of the room.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: chill | 2004/02/05

Surely the wise sensible thing to do is to keep the cat away from your daughter while she sleeps?

And I know what I would do to a cat (or anyone else) who tried to eat MY hair: short and simple - stop it! Who's the boss around there, anyway?

Reply to chill