Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/25

Cat eating cat sand (gravel type)

I have just noticed that my cat has started eating the cat sand (gravel type) which I buy for them. Lately his breath is smelling terrible (really really terrible!) and I have also noticed that he is drinking a lot more water than normal. It' s as if he is always thirsty. Is there any pattern between the symptoms here?

Dear Carol

May be kidney problems causing bad breath, drinking more and senility caused by and increase in one of the kidney enzymes in the blood. Best to have him checked out. His teeth may also be very bad!

Posted by: Gogga | 2008/08/28

they do a blood test for kidney and liver function together. it' s quite pricey, don' t know what it costs in SA, about R600 in Namibia the last time I had it done.

they say kidney failure is not painful (i hope this is true). the cat just gets sicker and stops eating eventually. I' ve lost 2 cats this way, it' s awful. I managed to keep one alive and healthy for a year after she was diagnosed. They flush the kidneys with a drip and that gives them another chance. It' s worth a try.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/27

I would also like to know if my cat is experiencing any pain, if he is indeed suffering from a kidney problem. I am taking him to the vet this afternoon

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/26

Does anyone perhaps know what kind of tests the vet will do to find out if my cat is suffering from a kidney problem? The reason I am asking is because I am currently unemployed and don' t have much spare cash on hand, I have to count every cent. I know vets charge a lot of money, which is why I am trying to find out more or less what tests the vet will run, e.g. blood tests, urine tests etc. Any idea what this will cost approximately? I' m desperate to get my cat to the vet ASAP but just don' t have the funds right now. I' m so heartbroken since I can' t afford to get my cat the help he needs right now.

Reply to Carol