Question
Posted by: Sabine | 2006/04/21

Cat does not like cats

My cat is a single cat. As I have to work the whole day I was thinking about having two cats so that they can be with each other during the day. Now I learned that she is not getting along well with other cats. She is not aggressiv and does not attack them but she does not like the approach of other cats at all.
Does it make sense to make a try with a kitten? What do you recommend?

Hi There

Some cats just do not ever like other cats. Mostly if you have a kitten and it grows up in your house and gets your smell, they could get along, but a strange cat approaching with a different smell is never going to work. She might start playing with a kitten after a while. Cats are very happy being on there own and do not mind it.
You could give it a bash and give it at least 2 weeks for things to settle down. Also get a male kitten if you have a female.
cDV
Animal behaviourist

2
Posted by: Sabine | 2006/04/22

Thank you Chill, you are right. She is happy and it seems to be my worrying about her solitude is the point.
But... maybe I should think about a dob ;-)

Reply to Sabine
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/22

If your cat seems happy, why tamper with that? Lots of cats prefer their solitude.

On the other hand... where is she encountering these other cats she doesn't like? If they're neighbourhood cats, then territorialism is going to play a role - most cats don't want interlopers on their turf.

It nearly always takes cats a while to get used to a new companion, so if you do decide to go that route, don't expect instant peace and harmony.

Reply to Chill